DEEP FRYING YOUR TURKEY THE SAFE WAY!
Video to Demonstrate the Do's and Don'ts. Watch this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70HVkMhQOMg
Big Bear Fire Department wants everyone to have a safe holiday season, especially when deep frying a turkey. Fire crews went to task to demonstrate how to properly deep fry a turkey, along with a dramatic video on what not to do!
Those wanting to deep fry their turkeys should follow manufacturer's instructions carefully for measuring oil, oil temperatures, turkey handling, etc. In the video you will see the correct and safe way to cook that turkey in a deep fryer. Then two more turkeys that are not properly prepared are lowered into oil.
The most crucial safety tips are:
- Be sure to place fryer on non-combustible surface. Do not put fryer on decks, around trees, etc.
- All deep frying should be done outside.
- Turkey's must be completely defrosted and patted dry, free from all water.
- Lower turkey SLOWLY into the oil.
If a fire does occur:
- Call 9-1-1 immediately.
- Use a fire extinguisher to put out any fire.
- DO NOT USE WATER to extinguish fire.
If you have any questions regarding frying your turkey, please contact the Big Bear Fire Department.